Matcha and Chocolate



Idea behind:

Matcha powder is still relatively novel. Not only does it bring a new flavour to the general public but it also creates this beautiful green hue. Blogs around the sphere have paired matcha with dark chocolate and I wanted to try the combination.

The cake:

I originally made matcha cupcakes and posted it on DD. I wanted to use the same recipe as it was very good the first time round. I did change the recipe slightly - using 1 teaspoon of matcha instead of one tablespoon - as it was very strong. I think I will use 2 teaspoons next time.

Next time I will sift the matcha into the flour rather than whisking into the milk as it formed difficult lumps that were reluctant to mix in. As per my standard recipe I will also add the flour and milk in turn rather than each all at once. This should assist the mixing.

I pushed half a square of chocolate into each cupcake before baking. When they came out of the oven the chocolate was runny and hot and really very tasty. Once they had cooled, the chocolate became harder creating a crunch to them. I liked them both the same and would like to test a dark chocolate ganche in place of the hot chocolate to see if it would create the same effect. Overall the matcha and chocolate are definitely a perfect match, not overpowering eachother, but perfectly complimenting each. The subtle apple tones of the matcha cutting through the bitterness of the chocolate.

Finally - as I was having trouble with the cakes going out of shape when they were placed so close together, I stood them apart slightly on the baking tray and they maintained their shape much better.

The icing

Standard buttercream icing worked very well, whipped for a long time to create an airy effect. Again, the matcha should be mixed in with the icing rather than with the milk.

I personally liked the quick swirl on top, rather than covering the top - I think it adds to the quirkiness of the cupcake.

I will also sprinkle some powder over half of each cake to give it the finishing touch.

NOTES:

- sift the flour and matcha together rather than matcha and milk. Same with icing.
- Slightly more powder next time.
- Try a chocolate ganache in addition to the chocolate squares.
- Sprinkle of a touch of powder over the top of each cake.
- Give out loads of freebies for everyone to try to get everyone hooked. Otherwise people will remain skeptical.